Great Western Beach
We like to think of Great Western as our own little bit of cool.
Great Western beach, Newquay, proudly sits as the UK’s first surfing beach. The story goes that visiting American and Australian servicemen introduced the sport to the people of Newquay in WW2. In the 1960s, surfing and the UK surf culture really started to take off, with Great Western Beach being at its epicentre, producing the earliest national and international surfing champions.
Managed by the same team as Hotel Sunnyside, Great Western acts as a truly awesome facility for hotel guests to enjoy. From sun rise to sun set, you’ll find a whole day of adventure waiting for you, alternatively you can just go there to relax on the soft sand.
Recently awarded its first ‘Seaside Award’, which are presented to clean, safe, attractive and well-managed beaches, you are ensured a safe and wonderfully beautiful setting for a day at the beach.
Amenities you’ll find at Great Western include – click on the links for more information:
Further useful information:
- Well behaved dogs on leads & responsible owners are welcome
- First aid point
- Toilet facilities (open 10am until 6pm during the summer months – please note these may close in the winter)
- Wheelchair access to the beach
- Beach BBQs – bookable via The Slope Beach Bar + Kitchen
- Ice cream kiosk
- There are public car parks located near Great Western beach. There are no parking facilities on the beach or vehicle access
- Access to the beach is via an inclining tarmac path beside the Great Western Hotel on Cliff Road, or along the sands at low tide – please check tide times